Art Pittman gave a chapter meeting discussion on people skills for project leaders. Here are some take-aways that I noted:
Dirty little secret of project management: It is all about the people
DAC (remember I blogged about this in my last post)
- D: Direction (Vision)
- A: Alignment (Get the resources)
- C: Commitment (Team)
- Self-Perception - Awareness
- Self - Expression - How you assert
- Interpersonal - empathy
- Decision Making
- Stress Management
"People are emotional first and rational second: Logic makes people think; emotions make people act"
What makes a best team
- Well-oiled machine
- Know your purpose and role
- Everyone work together.
- Everyone knew what was happening - picked up for each other
- project has good leadership
- great support from top
What makes a worst team
- No idea of the project goal
- Out of focus
- Each individual has their own agenda
- Illusion that the team is strong - but the team is "tangled"
Top Team Skills
- Understanding of a common goal
- Commitment from team members/leadership
- Cross-functional synergy
- Flexibility - Learn/Adapt
- Positive Attitude
"Cost of trust doubles the cost of business"
- No excuses
- Retribution (What Ill do going forward)
- Expect - may need some time
SBI (Situation, Behavior, Impact)
It was a great session. For additional information, go to pmitriadnc.org
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone
The Student Blog Has Moved! - The Wake Forest University Schools of Business student-run blog has moved to www.wakeforestbiz.blogspot.com. You may wonder why we decided to tweak with th...
7 years ago